Monday, March 29, 2021

My Graphic Design Student Portfolio from 1983

 I found my portfolio from my time as a student at the University of Georgia. I graduated in 1983 with a degree in graphic design. This was before computers, so everything is completed by hand, stat camera or photography. The theme for my portfolio is that Kennedy Space Center has been turned into a museum. These are the graphic marketing pieces of a campaign to promote the new museum. 


Here are three flyers about the different launch pads you could visit: Mercury, Apollo and Space shuttle. These are painted by hand with gouache paint on bristol board. 

I


Here are the logos for the various launch sites. 



The signage for each site is based off the obelisk in the film 2001 a Space Odyssey. 




I felt the best way to tour the site would be by hydrofoil. Here is the museum logo applied to the hydrofoil. As you can tell, I loved the blue print machine and the blue print concept. 


Below is a marker comp for a brochure cover for the Space Shuttle launch site. 

Below are a variety of illustrations of the space shuttle in marker and ink. 



Below is a logo for the University of Georgia, updating from the logo they were using at the time. 

Below is a campaign for a fraternity, logo, poster and charity photo shoot. 


Avarieryt of marker illustrations: antique car, M1911 Colt 45 pistol, and James Bond. 




Marker comp for a brochure for an art exhibition featuring Winslow Homer's paintings. 



Pencil illustration of a variety of meat cuts and a Pen and ink magazine cover illustration. 







 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful throwback to the ‘80s, Wil! Great work, as usual, and brought back lots of memories from my own undergrad days in mid-80s. Marker comps...yes! Stat cameras, check!! Bristol board and actual ink, sure!! Good times, except for burning my hand on the hot waxer for paste-ups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about wax paste ups! Yes, great memories. I was haunted by the shrink wrap machine, hard for me to master that thing!

      Delete