Thursday, February 11, 2021

Commissioning Art Part 4: The drawing process

Above, I began by using a very light silhouette of the entire tree to set the composition. Next with a very soft dark pencil I put in the big textured areas. I used 120lb paper size 24 x 18. I use a wide range of pencils from 8H to 8B. H pencils are hard and light; B pencils are soft and dark.An 8B pencil is almost charcoal. 


Next I added the large areas of 50% gray. I put in the big shapes of the branch on the right. As a put in teh values, light and dark, I rub them with a paper towel. 


One of the focal parts of this tree is the big section of smooth bark in the middle. I used 8H, 7H and 6H pencils to put in some of the very light areas of bark. 


When I am working on a drawing, I refer to the photograph and also the initial sketch. I added many of the distinct cracks, scars and knots to the tree. All trees have multiple patterns going on, many are cross current to the mail bark pattern. 

I try to work on the drawing as a whole, bring up all the different areas together. 



 Here the drawing is about 90% complete. I added many of the small branches and bark shapes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment