Thursday, January 30, 2020

Tree Series: Artist Statement



Recently, I began exploring the importance of trees to the future of our planet. This is the project I hope to pursue in 2020

In 2018, I altered my artistic focus on a weeklong art retreat with 7 other artists in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Influenced by the surroundings and the artistic interaction, I wanted to educate and motivate people to care about the natural world enough to make changes in their lives to protect the planet. I have selected what I believe are two accessible avenues for that purpose: drawing and trees.

First, drawing in graphite provides the public and me clarity of process. Drawings are straightforward and accessible, most people draw at some point in elementary school. I believe this accessibility will help the public receive my message.

Second, most people like and are familiar with trees. Therefore, I selected the tree as an entry point in the discussion about the complex issue of climate change. My Tree series seeks to personalize trees to engage the viewer.

I want my tree drawings, and the viewer’s understanding of how they relate to world climate events, to be as universally accessible and familiar as elementary school art class.

The Series brings trees into our daily conversation so we can talk about climate change in a way that is personal to us. I share my work with others to provide common ground to work toward common purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment