Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Holy Comforter Painting


It has been a few years since I have painted Holy Comforter.  This is a beautiful church on Park Road in Charlotte.  This is the view recently on a fall afternoon.  I painted this as a wedding present for a couple being married at the church.  I took artistic liberty by removing a few tress in front of the church.  The asymmetry of the steeple, red doors, brick, stone, and the wonderful round stain glass window give the church a unique look.  This painting began a a mono-print from a photo.  I printed the photo to the paper using winter-green oil.   By drawing, I add details I saw with my eyes that were not captured by the camera.  Then I did a series of watercolor washes to give it the warm yellow tones of sunset in the fall.  I finally added details with color pencil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment