Friday, April 6, 2012

Portrait of Allen with Salamander


This is a painting of my son Allen when he was about 4.  At a Camp Cheerio alumni reunion, a salamander jumped onto Allen while we were on a hike.  As you can see it was bright orange with black spots.  Allen was so excited to have a new friend drop in that he kept the salamander on his shirt for about an hour while we walked. 

This is a watercolor painting.  I am really pleased with the way the shirt and whistle came out.  I am less pleased with the background.  I don't paint many portraits.  I think other people are so much better at portraits than I am, but every now and then I am moved to paint one.  My son growing up and becoming an eagle scout caused me to paint him at a younger age.  Nostalgia I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment