Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Paper Selection for Drawing Series



Starting a new drawing is easy for me.  I just start putting marks on the paper. Beginning a new series of drawings, however, requires many, many decisions. What type paper do I want to use? As with everything in life today, the choices are almost endless.  I decided to use gray paper for my larger drawings.  It is a light gray so that graphite shows up well.  Also, I decided to use white charcoal for the highlights on these drawings, so gray allows for that.  I wanted a textured paper, so I chose one with a slight texture. I paint on rough paper and I did not want to use paper that was too rough.  Drawing six above shows how both the dark pencil and white charcoal show up well on gray paper.  I must say that backs are soooooooo fun to draw!  The subtle details of the back muscles are endlessly fascinating to me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment