Tuesday, July 14, 2009


The sketch above is the last preliminary sketch I executed. I asked myself what would happen if the rock began to win? I like to ask myself questions and answer them in my art. My metaphorical person is losing the battle to the pressures of society. So, I drew the rock coming down a quarter of the way into the drawing. When I show the sketches to people, they like this one the least. After this one, I felt it was time to begin the large scale drawings. I mentioned a pose book for artists in a previous post. I looked up the title of the one from 1966. The Human Form in Action and Repose by Phil Brodatz and Dori Watson. I see poses from this book all the time, even today. The artist Mobius used poses from this book for his drawings in Heavy Metal magazine. The word repose is so nice, but not too commonly used today. Here is a quote from the introduction: "Artist have endlessly labored to translate the facts of experience into the realities of art." Is there any reality besides art?

1 comment:

  1. The project is looking really good. I especially like the shadows on the models, very well done and professional.

    ReplyDelete