Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Drawing 2 Detail

This is a detail of the second drawing in my series called: Weight. Technically, I had to adapt the proportions of this figure a great deal from my reference material. In my sketches, I used pose books as a mentioned previously. For the large drawings (this one is 75 inches tall) I am using a model. I couldn't ask my model to hold a rock over her head for hours, so I had to take photos. So this drawing is based on a photographic reference. However, not entirely. Photos are a distortion or interpretation of life, not reality. So I use photos as a reference, but not gospel. I adapt my drawings: increasing the foot size, elongating parts of the arms and legs, etc. I do this so that the figure is correctly proportioned. People will accept things in a photo that do not look correct in a drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment